The education system in Cape Town Schools can vary quite considerably, and getting your child’s application in early is the best approach to ensure a place.
There are a number of different schooling options available to new students:
- Cape Town Pre-schools and creches: Lots of different options depending on your needs.
- Cape Town South African schools: Co-Ed, Single Sex, Convent, Boarding.
- Cape Town International Schools: Private, all are Co-Ed non boarding from nursery to 6th form.
- Cape Town State Schools: For parents with little or no funding.
- Cape Town State Schools: Which charge fees lower than the private schools.
- Cape Town Specialist Schools: Montessori, Waldorf System, Special Needs, German and French.
- Cape Town University: 2 significant establishments here in Cape Town.
The school year starts in January. Most schools in Cape Town can accommodate children arriving from overseas at just about anytime of the year assuming they have space within the appropriate class.
Fees vary from school to school, the most expensive charges around 95,000 Zar a year for an older child. The fee is either paid upfront or in four installments. There are also various deposits/application fees and levies payable per school. Given the shortage of good school places a high application fee means only serious families will actually feature on the waiting list.
School hours are earlier than in certain parts of Europe. The school day starts from 8am depending on the age of the child and will end from 1-1.30pm, again depending on the age of the child.
There is a big culture here in Cape Town Schools to provide “after-care” which is a bit like a summer school or play groups provided during the summer holidays. Activities are much less academically biased, especially for the younger children. These sessions last between 2.30pm and 5pm and costs approx 1200 ZAR per month in a Cape Town international school. Extra mural activities are also offerred by all schools with good facilities which include karate, pottery, photography etc.